Monday, August 8, 2016

Trash to Treasure: up-cycling the end table

Follow me on my Facebook page 
and never miss anything

NOTE: LONG POST AHEAD :)

4:30 am and I am sitting here stuffing my mouth with chocolate cigars just to get my brain start working (chocolate helps me even with breathing... no kidding!!!)

More than 5 months since my last blog. 
Life sometimes literally turns into a wild ride. LITERALLY!!! When you are free, you are absolutely free, so much that you could start getting bored of this free time!:D  (hmmm... sometimes you aren't free actually, you're just to lazy to move or even change your side if you're lying down and ignore your to-do list only if it was never there in the first place :D I am an example of it, you wont find any better :P)
Then comes the day when all the hassle begins, and your routine becomes like the one of the presidents of someplace, not a single spare minute (is there a need to mention we ourselves create half of this hassle by our laziness?)
Your life decides to put you on an invisible treadmill and sets its speed to the highest point, making you run like crazy leaving no other options. why treadmill? because you keep running madly and are still on the same place :D
Till the time you come back to normal routine, you're tired and lazy again and the cycle keeps on repeating.
Now with all the excuses given.. PLEASE accept my apology.
and to make up for the disappearance of all these months i will do a "7 DAY 7 CRAFTS" Challenge. i will post a new project for 7 days.
Usually people take 31 day challenge but because i know myself completing this 7 day challenge will be a HUGE accomplishment for me.

LETS ROCK!!!

DAY 1: UP-CYCLED PEACOCK END TABLE
I love peacock feathers, one of the natures wonder.

Now this project was something that involved too many doubts and fears and required a lot of courage. Using real peacock feathers was a challenge i put myself into and was double minded if i should be doing it, because I just didn't want to end up spoiling all those beautiful feathers. In contrast to my thoughts, it turned out to be a moderate project.
here is the before picture.



This little baby was bought for JUST 3KD! Can you believe it? I didn't either when i heard the man saying it for the first time. I told him to repeat the price once again:D

Anyway, it sat in my room in same state for months before i could think of something different and peacock feathers use was the perfect solution.

So i sanded it lightly. And painted it green.

You can see the little damage on top. I wasnt worried about it much as it was going to be covered with feathers.

While the paint dried i cut the feather removing the thick stem part so that it ciuld be laid all flat.
Then i started to apply modpodge in small portions and pressed the feathers on it. You need to overlap them in a way no base is shown. Plus you need to go in the same direction to have a neat look. I Gave the feathers a top layer of modpodge.
As it required atleast 4 coats of it, i cut the feathers that exceeded the on the edge of the table.
During the first topcoat application 

Cutting the excess

3rd layer of modpodge 

Oh one more thing. I got my modpodge througha friend in US. It wasnt available in kuwait back then. But i saw it online on insta last week so yeah its a great news :')

Now coming to the drawers. I repeated the same steps and layered them with feathers.
Then i tried to use the antiquing technique with gold, but it looked horrible. I dont have a picture of it but trust me it really looked horrible.
I just painted all the details gold then. This reminded me of a commenter who asked me if gold is my favourite color as i use it alor. Yes its my favourite accent color and brings eveything to life in just a stroke. LOVE IT :)
You can see her as well i chose the feathers to go towards the end. And addition of gold details looked amazing.

Next step, of which i accidently deleted the pictures (clumsy me :|) , is used a fancy bling fabric to cover its sides.

Lastly i used a golden flat bead string to the edges to give more details to
Sorry for poor picture. Just took it from my cell.

And on the edges of all parts.
And thats the fabric i used. Color looks weird in picture but is absolutely fine in real.


Here is the final look, was a challenging task but totally worth it.


The top view


Details


You can see a bit of damaged part on the top. to be honest i haven't figured out how its supposed tp be fixed. And isnt it ok sometimes to have something not-so-perfect and yet beautiful?


Bad pictures i know but these were the best ones i could get in daylight as i have dim lights in my room and the setting is also not so favorable for taking its pictures.

Dont forget to follow me for the next 7 days as i am officially on a self challenge :)
(and also pray that my laziness doesnt come in my way :( )


HOPEFULLY see you tomorrow.

KEEP DREAMING
KEEP DIY-ING
XOXOXOXOXOX



15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You did a great job. I can't believe that those feathers didn't separate. Awesome! Kaathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting them set for an hour or so before the topcoat does the trick;)
      thank you so much for admiring and welcome to my blog :)

      Delete
  2. What kind of gold paint do you use?
    Did you oaint it all green furst...then added the gold color?

    Looks amazing congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. What kind of gold paint do you use?
    Did you oaint it all green furst...then added the gold color?

    Looks amazing congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glorious! I so would like to try something with the feathers. I even collect the neck and shoulder feathers. I understand your fear of ruining them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stunning - what a cool idea!! Thanks for sharingn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love so want one for my room thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how did you cover the feathers top coat is it all just modpoge or did you do something to else to create a flat surface???

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's absolutely beautiful! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is truly beautiful!! Did you put a glass on top to protect those feathers? I would be so afraid I would mess up my top. You are so talented. Thank you so much for sharing. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is truly beautiful!! Did you put a glass on top to protect those feathers? I would be so afraid I would mess up my top. You are so talented. Thank you so much for sharing. Jean

    ReplyDelete